Saturday, 10 December 2011

Thirty minutes

On the spur of a moment tonight, I passed the baby over to H and told him I was going out for a quick walk. Just to walk around the neighbourhood, on my own and enjoy the winter's night and lights.

I have not had a moment to myself since baby A was born. That's four months. Thirteen months if you consider all the months i carried him inside me (and consistently feeling his presence). I'm loving every minute of it, but for just a while, I'd like a bit of time to be on my own.

The significance of that hit me within thirty seconds of stepping out into the night. I almost teared up for the simple joy of having my thoughts to myself for a change. Time-outs and solitary moments are very me. I've always been one to go off on walkabouts (or driveabouts). Oxford. Sydney. KL. KT. All the places I've ever called home, I've treasured my numerous alone time. So to need it here, in Den Haag, is just natural.

Life has been overwhelming this past year. And for just thirty minutes tonight, I had me back in the centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment