03:37
Okay. I have to wake up early, and catch another deadline at 10:00.
Now, sleep.
03:26
Learnt a lesson earlier today, about the power of the simple things.
After the meeting at MOH, I called for a cab, and one came promptly. The driver was a very courteous middle-aged man, didn't talk much but when he did he was soft-spoken and pleasant. By the time he got me to my sister's place, I asked him if he was willing to pick me up again in a couple of hours, to go to the airport. He readily agreed.
Turned out mummy also needed to go to the airport - later that evening. So I suggested to her to check with my taxi driver if he'd be willing to over for yet another pick-up. We did ask, and again he said okay.
About 10 minutes into the drive to the airport, the driver, Pakcik Din as he asked me to call him, said this to me: "rezeki dari Tuhan untuk saya, dapat jumpa Cik hari ni".
It is God's gift to me, to have met you today.
That choked me, and left me absolutely puzzled. He then elaborated. Apparently he had been driving around Putrajaya from 7 am to 11.30 with absolutely no customers. He was lamenting the loss of income as he wouldn't be able to make his minimum daily required to cover rent and license and all.
Then my call came in, and with that, he has three secured rides, two of which was long-distance to the airport. He called that a blessing.
I did absolutely nothing for him, apart from make a call for a taxi. But by doing nothing deliberately, there was that man who was sending out prayers of thanks for my sake.
I consider that a gift to me, and I needed to thank him.
02:49
This is why I am not a team person. This project we're doing; if I were to do this alone, it would have been completely different, and done in a completely different way. Should I be more assertive and put my foot down? Perhaps, but perhaps not this time. I clearly came in as the newbie, so I'll play the newbie card. For now.
See, people sometimes give out highly authoritative vibes, but they do not necessarily have all the goods.
00:35
It started yesterday morning - I had a last minute video conference scheduled at UNESCO here in Bangkok - completely separate from the job that I am actually here for. It was crazy hot walking over there after taking the BTS. Then the lady who was supposed to coordinate the video-con managed to screw up and it nearly didn't happen. You'd think these UN divisions are the epitome of efficiency; they are not. But it was pretty cool video-conferencing with people in Indonesia, Philippines, and East Timor despite the less than perfect technical aspects.
Finished the video-con, went back to the apartment, grabbed a quick lunch and off to the airport. Took the flight back to KL - plane took forever to land so we ended up delayed and it was 22:00 by the time I arrived at my sister's. Had work to do, tried, but was dead tired.
This morning, off to the MOH for my meeting. Was part dreading - part eager. I really, really wanted to make things right with them. And I think I managed even if a little bit. That's one tiny step forward, I guess. The people from MAC seemed pleased too, so that's all okay.
Quick lunch with mummy at my sister's, then straight back to the airport, and fly back to Bangkok!!!
One hour upon arrival at the apartment here, I'm in another meeting with the other consultants - at 20:30. To go over things to do TONIGHT!
So here I am. Still plenty to do and the big presentation is tomorrow afternoon.
All this is not going to end anytime soon!
It's all great, actually - but am just so tired..
Gaah!
00:00
It's been a crazy hectic couple of days, and things are nowhere near slowing down.
Am pulling an all-nighter tonight, and I need to keep myself sane with regular breaks. Can't do a running status update on Facebook because all sorts of people are on there; including the people I'm working with!
K,
ReplyDeleteThank you.
Take care!
mekjarroh
Mek.. thank you for sticking by! appreciate you being here :-)
ReplyDelete