Lately I've been having more and more conversations with myself about what type of mother I am and whether I am making the right choices. These conversations are not doubts, though. Simply assessments. Truth be told, I have, to my own surprise, complete confidence in that I am doing what is best for me and my family.
I see debates and arguments here and there about the stay-at-home mothers versus working mothers. I always baffles me how people (more often than not, it is the mothers themselves) are very hard on each other on this topic. A lot of high horses in this debate.
There is a current uproar back home, about a CCTV recording of an Indonesia maid mistreating the baby in her care. I was taken aback by many comments in various websites, blaming the parents (read: mother) for having a career and leaving the childcare in the hands of a carer. Parenting is hard enough without these unsolicited judgements from others. People make their choices and they all have their reasons and justifications.
I have chosen differently. I stay at home, trying to juggle a freelancing career, which is not easy. The biggest challenge for the moment lies in the fact that I have lost much of my passion for the career, and wish to be even more present as a mother. This year is the year I reassess my choices and options.

No comments:
Post a Comment