Tuesday, 14 April 2009

The Fourth Year Quitter

Have noticed a trend in my commitment tendencies. I last four years. With the exception of the marriage, that is.

This seems to be true for most of my significant endeavours. After four years, I quit, or things conveniently come to a conclusion.

Studies in the UK. 4 years.
PhD. 4 years.
Employment at the university. Officially 8, but time actually spent at the uni, 4 years.

And now, as I approach the first year of working as an HIV consultant, I am revising my 5-year plan, to a 4-year plan.

While I like how things are working out for me now - the flexibility, the exposure, networking, challenging projects and assignments, and most of all the independence to pave my own way, I am getting more and more discouraged by the environment I work in.

I want to say that there is too much politics in HIV, but everyone will tell me there's too much politics in everything. Sure, point taken. But I do think that along with organisational and personal politics, there are too much emotional stakes, aggressive activism, and just too many personalities.

I think at the moment, I want to separate what I do as a living, and what I do as my passion. Because I am finding myself losing what I thought was passion for HIV research. It just gets drowned in the sea of bickering, sensitivities and various agendas. I am not cut out for a life of swimming through those. In this past year, I have had to always watch what I say. Always biting my tongue. Who I liaise with. What people say (and what they really think). Whose toes not to step on, whose backs to rub. I have been blacklisted. I have received nasty emails (and yes, one that arrived this morning is the trigger to this post.) Yet all I want to do is my job.

There. Wasn't easy to admit that I am losing my passion for working on HIV. This is a field made up of people who are committed, dedicated, and passionate. Yet the vibe is just so negative. I am not cut out for negative vibes - they hurt. Now I just want to do it as a job, and there doesn't seem to be any room for people who just want to do their jobs.

So I'll do this for four years. Because I think I am good at what I do and I can contribute in some little way. Because I do need to give back to society what society has given me. Because it is an income. Because maybe there is a chance that I can make some change.

But after four years, I will re-assess. I'm not promising I'll quit, but at least I will seriously re-assess whether it is time to explore other options. I have options.

But seriously, life is just too short to fight other people's causes.

2 comments:

  1. You're not alone mate. Yup, office politics are everywhere ESPECIALLY in this country of ours.

    There were numerous occasions where I just wanted to pack my bags and fly off to where I am more appreciated or to take up the other well-paid offers but.. I stayed on.

    By the end of the day, helping people by giving our best in the jobs that we're passionate of is the only thing that matters (at least to us) right?

    Keep going dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. cleared my head a bit after that, and it felt better, made more sense.
    Have to keep emotions out of it all, that's the answer I think. Let others get emotional if they want. but knowing that those things affect me emotionally, I need to separate out my emotions from the get go.

    Ryzah - you've been doing great things.. proud of ya!

    ReplyDelete