Sunday, 15 March 2009

As many steps as it takes

I have a meeting tomorrow. After all the recent debacle about my (lack of) inter-personal skills, I am feeling rather anxious and unsure of myself. With this particular group of colleagues, I've sort of put myself in the leadership position, and I have no idea whether that position is accepted by the team members. In my head, I do so because I want to make sure the project gets going. And indeed we've seen progress being made. What worries me now, is whether I've focused on 'getting things done' at the expense of my relationship with the people who are getting things done.

Am putting myself on a {inset whatever number required}-step programme to improve my inter-personal skills.

I can't change overnight. So I'll set specific objectives for every event, and aim to make the changes, and to make a habit of these changes.

For tomorrow's meeting:
(1) Be pleasant.
(2) Make sure everyone gets a chance to voice their opinions, objections and queries.
(3) Ask questions instead of giving directions.

There are plenty more I need to work on. But I'll start with a conscious effort on these three.

No comments:

Post a Comment